Construction protocols for working under Alert Level 2 and 3 have been updated in light of new COVID-19 restrictions. Civil Contractors New Zealand highlights what you need to know
Travelling between alert level regions
The public health response legislation enforcing Alert Level 2 and 3 does not prevent work travel between Level 2 and 3 regions for those who cannot work from home. Companies with staff that need to travel in and out of Alert Level 3 regions for work purposes should supply workers with a letter confirming the staff member is travelling for work purposes, in case they are asked to prove they are travelling for work purposes.
We believe the following information is what is reasonably required for the supporting letter at present:
- Company name, address and contact details
- Manager’s name and contact details
- Worker’s name and role
- Dates letter is valid for
Further information that may be useful:
- Industry sector (i.e. civil construction)
- Name/address of project the worker is travelling to
All businesses will be required to display contact tracing QR codes as of 19 August, as set out in the Government’s COVID-19 Public Health Response (Alert Levels 3 and 2) Order 2020.
Contractors should note that the NZ COVID Tracer app does not supply them with information on site entry, or who and when people are entering or leaving or the purpose for people accessing site/workplaces. The information is stored on individual phones and cannot be accessed by employers/site managers. Therefore, normal systems for recording of movements in and out of sites and workplaces need to be maintained.
The Order includes a requirement during Alert Levels 2 and 3 for all businesses and services:
- To display the official government QR code for the NZ COVID Tracer App, and
- To have systems and processes in place to otherwise support contact tracing for people who do not scan in with the NZ COVID Tracer app (such as a pen-and-paper register or a digital sign-in system).
If you have not already generated an official QR code poster for each of your premises, you will need to get your posters before this time through the webform at https://qrform.tracing.covid19.govt.nz.
To use the webform, you will need:
- a valid New Zealand driver licence so your identity can be verified
- the address details for each of your premises
- your email address
- an email address and contact phone number for each of your locations.
If your business has a large number of premises or the person filling in the form does not have a driver licence, they can also get your official QR codes by sending a completed template (click here to download) to the NZ COVID Tracer support team at [email protected].
Please note you need to create a separate poster for each of your premises or unique locations, but can print as many copies of each poster as you need for each premises. Guidance for displaying posters is available here.
You can find further information about the QR codes on the Ministry of Health website. Further information about the requirements and restrictions for businesses during Alert Levels 2 and 3 can be found on the COVID-19 website.